Thursday, September 28, 2006

March 24, 1983

11.25. A.M.

Last night I went to a dinner party with Arturo and Idalia of course. It was given by Willy and Blanca Hubbell who live in a duplex penthouse apartment and it was just fabulous. It was so big I could hardly believe it, and it had a terrace that went around the top 270 degrees so the ocean, city and mountains call all be seen. It also had a private elevator leading up to it. There were eleven of us at the party: a couple from Argentina, the husband is an actor who’s now directing a play in New York, Roxanna and Frances Allen McSherry whose St. Patrick’s Day party I went to last week, Blanca and her husband and Florence, a friend of the McSherry’s, Jim who lives with the Hubbells and me, Arturo and Idalia, eleven of us. We had an Argentine meal consisting of meat and vegetables with all kinds of wines and helado de coco con rum for dessert. I drank a lot because my wisdom tooth hurts and because more importantly, I am in a great great deal of pain with my sunburn. This apartment was just so so enormous; it was bigger than Mona’s old house in Livingston. It had 7 bathrooms, 2 kitchens, a sauna, 7 bedrooms (I’m sure) and tons of living space. The way they set it up they had at least 6 living rooms and no dining rooms. The terrace was enormous and they had furniture for it of course. There was a staircase inside too, so they could get from the first floor to the second floor of their apartment. All the floors were marble. I will never forget this place. The Hubbells have a son named Willy who is 19 and goes to Boston University. All the guests left together and Frances was saying that Willy said he was down to his last 5 million. I guess he’s rich. After dinner I sat and talked with the men. Idalia told me to come with her for a woman’s dessert and I obviously wasn’t at all interested. Allen asked me what I was interested in studying and when I said writing, literature and languages, he said I wasn’t going to make any money to support myself. Everybody is telling me that and I think I know that but I am not interested in doing anything to make money. Or should I? I figure that I’ll study what I want to study and become a teacher of English, or a waitress or an actress – something. I could even be a secretary and support myself that way but I would get too too bored. This has been a good vacation. I have seen two beautiful homes and went to another party and am going out tonight. I hope I get another movie like last Friday and I hope I get a dinner at a restaurant Saturday night. Then I can tolerate my stay until Sunday morning. Last night I was having terrible nightmares about my skin turning purple from sun poisoning. I was up and could not sleep at all. First I was hot and itchy from bug bites and then I was too cold. Thank God I finally fell asleep and slept until 10:00 A.M. I wanted to change my flight for tomorrow afternoon because I am so damned uncomfortable but I guess I will manage. Saturday is my last day. Monday I’ll be back in school and I can’t wait. Hopefully I will call Mrs. Chasan because I want to and hopefully she’ll let me visit her either Sunday or after school some day. Then on Saturday next, I’m getting my hair cut short and I can’t wait. I hate the way it is now. It’s long and scraggly and uneven and dry and dead. It’s getting so so blond in the sun! I can hardly believe it! I can’t really go out in the sun but I only want to so my hair will get lighter. Last night I also had a dream that I was meeting my new roommate at Sarah Lawrence. It was a nice dream. When I was sitting on the terrace last night with that cool, cool breeze hitting me all over, I was feeling so good. I was also drunk. It’s too bad I haven’t been writing too much while I’m here. I go to bed sort of early. I was sorry I missed Part Two of Gone with the Wind which I want to read, but that’s okay. That movie makes me so sad anyway. It really does. I feel sorry for Scarlet. I’m reading A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and I’m liking it but I have to read Heart of Darkness so I’m reading that now. I really want to write a novel and I’m thinking about it. I feel like I have some faith in myself. It’s still about the woman I met on Monday. Hopefully I will write again soon.

10:30 P.M.

This afternoon we went to Gary Williams house to see a videotape documentary on the Beatles. We brought pizza and I drank two beers. I don’t even like beer but I am in such pain. Gary gave me some medication for my burn and I hope it helps me. I really enjoyed the film. I just love John, Paul, George and Ringo. I think I want to name my sons after them. There is something that is just totally phenomenal about them and their music and I should love to be able to place my finger on it. Gary put on the Double Fantasy album and it made me sad. Watching the film makes me want to cry also, just like all those girls who faint and scream over the Beatles. I really do love them and I wish I were John or Yoko or one of his children but I’m not. I also wish I could be married to the future Kind of England but I’m not. I would like to live in England for a few years. We also saw Fritz the Cat. It is an animated film set in the 1960’s in New York. It was x-rated and the first to be made out of a big studio. It was filled with sex and drugs and trips but it said a few interesting things. It was from the 60’s so I did enjoy it. Oh, I finally found love beads but didn’t buy them. They were ugly and I think I could find better. I’m trying to get tired and keep my mind off my pain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home