Thursday, September 14, 2006

July 3, 1982

Dear Shawn,

I just got off the phone with you-. I was honestly afraid to talk to you. That’s why when Angelica handed the phone over to you, Maria got back on, because I gave her the phone first. I was so worried, but we had such a fantastic talk! You really made me laugh! I’m glad because I was scared.

Two things first come to my mind when I heard about this horrible thing. Second thing first though. Maria told me you had 45 stitches around your mouth, and some teeth wired, and I thought about how we sucked faces, just last week! And now we can’t! Oh, that was so much fun Shawn! I thought about it afterwards too, and how I would kiss differently the next time. So you’ve got to get better soon! It was so ironic that you mentioned it over the phone (that you wouldn’t be out of commission), because I was thinking of that! But you know, I am so sorry about your accident. I really am Shawn.

Anyway, there’s something I feel like sharing with you now, and this was the first thing that came to my mind; when I thought: “Oh my God!” at Maria’s words. I had a car accident also, this year: a very bad one. I never told anyone though because I just didn’t ever want to discuss it. It scared me too much. Maria doesn’t know so please don’t say anything. You might have heard about it though I don’t know, because I just recently told Melissa and Mary when were partying on night.

It happened the first week back from spring vacation, on Wednesday night, March 31, 1982 at 8:38 P.M. (precisely from the police report). I’m happy to say it wasn’t my fault. It was raining that night also and this 19-year-old man cut me off. I applied my brakes but it was too late. His car was totaled, my mother’s car had $4,000.00 worth of damage. The seat belt saved my life, I swear. It was just the most frightening experience I’ve ever had. I just couldn’t talk about it and now I’m being sued by the boy who cut me off, and I go to court next Tuesday so everything is very upsetting and fucked up.

Anyway, I can sympathize with you totally. It seems that Vail-Deane people shouldn’t have car accidents. But you and I weren’t at fault – we’re the innocent who only get hurt by those crazy drivers out there.

So anyway, this was what I wanted to tell you on the phone but since Maria doesn’t know about it, I couldn’t tell you, because I don’t want to explain it. It happened 3 months ago. And also what I wished to talk openly about was our adventures on the beach, but couldn’t do that because I didn’t think you really wanted Maria to know that you and I sucked faces and that we’re gonna do it again when you get well. But I don’t know. Oh, that was fun! Can’t wait until next time.

We had such a great talk! When I saw Mary on Friday when I went home from Maria’s, we got so god-damned high!! (2 exclamation marks – one for Mary and one for me!) I finally got some pot! And this shit was good! And we smoked it on my wild papers! We also got Sangria and 2 little bottles of pink champagne. I had to celebrate up there in the reservation. I miss partying, if you know what I mean. I have to be a good girl while I’m at Maria’s. But I’m honest with her. We’re good friends. I’ve told her that I sometimes engage in those illegalities.

On the whole, we’re having a ball here. Maria can be a very funny person. She really is! I just can’t have that “other” kind of “fun.” “Our” (juniors and seniors) kind of fun.

So this is why I had to write you. You see, I felt so awful. Car accidents are rotten, cruel, frightening things. But our talk was very happy. There are so many things to laugh about. If you’d like to write me back. I’d just love to hear from you. I’m sorry this letter took so long, but I love writing and I will write you back.

I hope I see you again at the movies!

Love always
(and see you at a party soon – I hope! Right?)
Trish

P.S. Remember how we passed notes in music history class? Let’s continue by writing letters to each other. We’ll have more to discuss at alumnae functions. And please tell anyone you see that Trish says hello for me – thanks Shawn!

*****

Saturday July 3, 1982

Dear Mrs. Chasan,

Is it too soon for a letter? I hope not. I’ve been looking forward to writing to you. How’s your summer going so far and your courses (or are you in Russia now?) Things are just fine with me. Are you being very productive i.e. reading a lot? I wish I could say I’ve been, but I haven’t. I haven’t picked up Steppenwolf since the night you gave me that book. I’m saving it. I’m reading one book now that I want to finish first, and at the rate I’m going with it, that will be sometime in August. There are so many books I want to read this summer also. Maybe I will. It’s still the beginning of summer for me and I’m just having fun. By the next time I write you, I will try to be able to say that I read Lady Chatterley’s Lover.

I’ve been at Maria’s now, a week, and did I miss home! Mother had to come get me Thursday evening, as I had a doctor’s appointment on Friday. I think I might continue to do that once a week. I don’t mind going home for a day every week – that’s where I can fuel my identity. Then I go back and remember who I am. But mother wasn’t too sweet about my being home again. I wonder what it’s going to be like when I’m in college. Actually, I don’t care, but I told her I missed her (the truth) and it made a world of difference to her. (I don’t want to be separated from my children either).

We are having fun here. Last night Maria, Angelica and I had a pillow fight. It was great. Everyone here loves me, even Abuelito and the workers at the warehouse. But it’s definitely a different life for me. The Spanish is wonderful though. I don’t mind only being able to talk in English with three people (Maria, Angelica y Alicia). I certainly don’t mind talking in Spanish. There’s little I know after what I’ve been taught so far compared to speaking real Spanish. But its right here for me and I pick up things.

I should certainly have not become too rusty with the language by September. I will also be using it after I leave here. I have the most fantastic plans for August. So wonderful that I’m going to tell you them now, just in case they don’t materialize. My friend Elaine and I are taking off together to go visit our fathers. First we’ll stay two weeks in Miami with her father. That way she doesn’t have to be alone with him (neither of us like to – each other’s company is so important, these plans just have to work). Then two weeks in San Juan with my father. They’re practically next door! And they both live in the “sun”, so Elaine and I are so lucky.

Oh, guess what happened to me again?! I had another accident! This is little though. My fourth day of work, everything had been going fine – no problems. Afternoon comes, putting away a delivery and the box of Gerber that I picked up was broken and all the jars fell out. (This was at the Diaz’s warehouse). Next thing, there was a pile of mush-chicken noodle baby food, and broken glass all over the floor and part of my body. Yuck! It was no big deal because it wasn’t my fault! I didn’t feel guilty, sorry yes, but not guilty. Interesting. More relaxed feelings must be affected by the weather. An experience I had to have once this summer. God is testing me (and I can cope).

Mr. Ambrose must be back from his excursion. I’m only guessing since I’m always in Elizabeth now and I saw his car. I’m getting anxious for my term paper, but I probably won’t see it until September. I hope to sometime get a chance to stop by the school. Have you see anybody? I simply cannot stay away – its impossible for me. I don’t know why Vail-Deane is so important to me, but it is and I don’t mind the attachment, especially since I will be there next year and you’re returning too thank God. Then now I say I will come to every alumnae function, but who knows. I think I will.

I’m so happy because I’ve been with a friend every single day of summer vacation so far, and I’ve seen so many Vail-Deane people! Its great. Haven’t been alone at all. I hope you are very happy also. I really do. I’ve been thinking about you so it’s about time I wrote.

Have you seen E.T.? I hope you did. I loved that movie! I saw it three times already. I also got my achievement scores, which I will spare you with. (Had a wonderful fight with my mother right before taking them). Anyway, is there anything else? I don’t think so. Court next week. Oh I just can’t wait!! Please say hello to Mr. Chasan and your two children Val and Calypso Kitty for me.

(I should have written you last summer also). I’ll write again.

Love always,

Trish

P.S. Did you have a good 4th of July? Hope so (206 years flys fast). And you still have my pen don’t you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home