Tuesday, September 19, 2006

August 8, 1982

SUNDAY

Dear Mrs. Chasan,

The index card is nothing really – just something I wanted to show you. I’ve finally been doing some reading and with not much difficulty discovered that I really like Hesse a lot. I read Siddhartha which is a wonderful little book and Demian which I also enjoyed by him. Now I’m reading Beneath the Wheel. Remember Hawthorne? I remember what I wrote at the end of my term paper (which you have), and I am definitely changing my mind, although I still remember why I liked him. But I won’t rave about Hesse to you now because I realize that I will change my mind again, more than a dozen times.

I also finally finished the Awakening and Lady Chatterley’s Lover. I like D. H. Lawrence also and yes the scene in the hut (which you said was in the garden but I think it was the hut), was beautiful. Elaine was also reading it so we discussed it. And Elaine by the way is going to Rutgers this fall. She went for an interview a few weeks ago and got accepted – just like that. She has got an excellent record, the only thing that kept all this delay was the she dropped out in her senior year – understandably.

Oh, I saw your car finally. It wasn’t yours, but one like yours which I was telling you I’ve never seen. This one was black. I saw it in Beach Haven last weekend. Sheila and I went down with Pat and Kevin. It was fun. Sheila looks like she lost weight.

Maria turned 16 last Thursday. She had a party last night which was good. Missy was telling me about your friend Tate Rupert (don’t know if the spelling is correct), who’s a friend of her brother’s from Pingry. I don’t know if you know this or not, but he has a small part in Diner (the movie). And in Angelica’s Pingry Review, I saw Robert Leonard ’78 married Lee Clarke etc. I thought he sounded familiar and I remembered that he’s your brother. There was also an article about the teachers leaving Pingry so I read what they wrote about Pam Fetters.

Nothing else new with me. Summer is just quickly passing by. How did your psychology course end up? Are you going to Europe? I hope you are if you want to. This is all for now. I leave tomorrow for San Juan. My and Elaine’s plans did fall through so now I must shovel out my survival instinct and use it. I hope you’re well.

So did summer get better and are you being happy? I hope my short note helped you tolerate your psychology course, if not you know my good intentions. And I hope you go to Europe if you want to. (More hopes). And I also hope this letter wasn’t too bad. I’m trying to get my mind off leaving for San Juan tomorrow by myself. My and Elaine’s plans fell through so now I must dish…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home