Saturday, August 26, 2006

A letter to Mrs. Chasan March 1982

Dear Mrs. Chasan,

Welcome home from Florida. I hope you had a wonderful vacation. I'm in Puerto Rico now, but I'll probably be home when you receive this. I hope the weather in Florida was just as you hoped. The weather here is fantastic. I couldn't wish for anything better. The temperatures are so high that the water in the ocean is 70 degrees. I love it. I hate very cold water, plus it's blue although there is alot of seaweed and a little bit of litter, but so little that it is very easy to avoiud. The weaweed at first bothered me but I've learned to deal with it; The sun is very strong here. One must be extremely careful with one's skin as I quickly learned.

I'm staying in the Isla Verde section of San Juan. I've heard that it's beach is always vrey crowded because it is the best beach in San Juan. I know I have no complaints. Where I'm staying is also very beautiful. My father lives in a condominium apartment one block from the beach and directly across from the El San Juan hotel. It is all very convenient for me and it is not a bad neighborhood. I'm actually pretty lazy too. I basically sun everyay and read and write. It is not exactly what I had in mind but it's okay. The next time I come, rather if there is a next time,. I will most certainly bring a traveling companion. I would like to take Sheila here so I can show her around and take her to the rum factory and she can use her spanish, but I will take anyone. I just have Sheila in mind for some reason. It's really no fun at all being by myself in Puerto Rico. Surely I meet and talk with people but still I would be much happier to have a friend with me. I really don't see a rason why I shold be without a friend while visiting my father, espcially now that I have gone thought the worse of this excursion.

Puerto Rico, I have forgeotten, is very American. Almost everyuboyd speak English OI have used my spanish and enhoy conversing in another tongue immensesely, but I have aonly used a little, but more than "Buenos dias. Como estas?" etc. I have picked up new words also, its really neat. Besides spekaing English, everytin I mean, half of everyin is written in English like in Miami - it's all basically bilingual, but there are very few things sold in the stores which are Puerto Rican. I went to a Grand Union - very disappointing to find one of those here, but of course, everything was American, except the prices, whare are astronomical. I have not bought a thing yet, nor do I plan to now, as I did before. But this is San Juan and San Juan is the capital so and so, a tourist attraction., So I';ve become disillusioned byut I don't care any more becuase it is true that people come here just for the sun, which hasn't failed me yet and not not buy, and also to ssee the fortisnin Old San Juan - from all I've gathered. So I will continue to sun and to drift in the warm water so that the reflection and salt will bleach my hair ever so naturally and so my skin will turn a healthy brown.

Puerto Rico is really a very nice place to visit byut you know I'm going to say I wouyulnd't want to live here with all the coiockroaches and dirty men. I went to see Neighbors last night, dubbed with spanish subtitles. I'm between reading them as I found it very interesting, I had to try to make a most terrible young man stop staring at me, becuase that is all he did. I really couldn't handlt ehe situation and was too embarrassed to ask my father to make him leave me alone. But thank God he left and I could pay closer attention to the movie. That has never happened to me in America, but then again weight dieson'
t matter to the people here.

I was hoping that this visit would be educational, but its not really, but that's okay. I'm going to wait until the summer, when I can bring a friend, and then we'll tour. I've seen everything here anyway, with my mother, but that was nine and ten years ago (and I can't believe I've lived that long!)

I did do something absolutely fascinating whcih I have to share with you, especially becauyse you are my teacher, I went to a school here! The name of it was Colegio Nuestra Senora de Belen. I loved it! It was really really great and I'm going back to visit in on thrusday.

I told my father on the phoine in New Jersey that I wanted to experience school life in Puerto Rico. My motives were to meet people my age, from the island, adn to try to talk with them in spanish, and get to know them and everything else I could learn about the,m I wanted to ovserve classes I have, in spanish, and make my own personal comparison, So my father has a gfriend whose daughter is in her second year of high school. He asked that friend what the telephone numver of her school was and called the princiapl who was reluctant to have visitors at first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home